The government has advised against international school trips at this stage, but there is no confirmation on the exact timeframe that covers, so for the time being we will only be looking at imminent departures (departure dates over the next few days) until we are given more information.
For later departures (certainly those not due to travel after Easter) a decision cannot be made until everyone knows more and/or any further government advice is issued. Therefore any later departures (those travelling after Easter) wanting to cancel immediately will have normal cancellation charges applied.
The Government is not advising schools to stop trips within the UK and therefore schools can proceed as planned, if they wish. The Government is advising schools to refresh their own risk assessments.
Any schools travelling within the UK wanting to cancel must do so at their own cost as normal cancellation charges will apply.
Schools should contact either their own general insurers or the Department for Education as they may have some financial cover in place for this scenario.
The government travel guidance for schools can be found at: